This month our Bible reading plan takes us to the Minor Prophets. To help us assemble these books and understand their message, here are a number of resources to Obadiah, the first book of The Twelve. You can find more information about the Minor Prophets here.
An Outline of Obadiah
Obadiah is the shortest book in the Old Testament, but brevity does not mean simplicity. Here are three outlines to help grasp this rich book.
- Accusations against Edom’s Leaders (vv. 1–14)
- Hinge: The Day of the Lord is Near to All Nations . . . (v. 15)
- The Day of the Lord for all the Nations (vv. 16–21)
- Obadiah 1–9: The Coming Judgment of Edom
- Obadiah 10–14: The Lord Avenges His People
- Obadiah 15–21: The Day of the Lord is Near
- First Announcement of Judgment to Edom (vv. 1–4)
- Second Announcement of Judgment to Edom (vv. 5–7)
- Announcement of Judgment, Accusation, and Warning to Edom (vv. 8–15)
- Promise of Restoration and Victory to Israel (vv. 16–18)
- Promise of Restoration and Yahweh’s Kingship (vv. 19–21)
Overview Sermons on Obadiah
- Does God Have Enemies? The Message of Obadiah by Mark Dever
- Major Points from Obadiah by John Blanchard
- Obadiah by Richard Belcher
Books on Obadiah
Books on the Prophets in General
- Peter J. Gentry, How to Read and Understand the Prophets (Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2017).
- O. Palmer Robertson, The Christ of the Prophets (Phillipsburg, NJ: P & R, 2004).
- Aaron Chalmers, Interpreting the Prophets: Reading, Understanding and Preaching from the Worlds of the Prophets (Downers Grove, IL: IVP, 2015)
Books on the Minor Prophets
- Richard Alan Fuhr, Jr. and Gary E. Yates, The Message of the Twelve: Hearing the Voice of the Minor Prophets (Nashville: B & H Academic, 2016).
- Paul House, The Unity of the Twelve (New York: T & T Clark).
Soli Deo Gloria, ds