My son, beware of anything beyond these.
Of making many books there is no end,
and much study is a weariness of the flesh.
— Ecclesiastes 12:12 ESV —
On Monday I listed eleven old books that every Christian should read. I asked you what the twelfth book should be. Here are the books suggested.
- The Scandal of the Incarnation selections from Irenaeus’ Against Heresies (Jason Miller)
- The Bondage of the Will (John T. Jeffery)
- On the Freedom of a Christian by Martin Luther (Jeffery Hutchison)
- Abandonment to Divine Providence by Jean-Pierre de Caussade**
- The Mortification of Sin by John Owen (Ben . . . )
- The Christian in Complete Armour by William Gurnall (Ben . . . )
- The Life and Diary of David Brainerd by Jonathan Edwards (Josh Philpot)
- Lives of the Three Mrs. Judsons by Arabella Stuart (Jerod Harper)
- Holiness by J. C. Ryle (Cade Campbell)
- The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer (Terry Braswell)
- In His Steps by Charles Sheldon (Terry Braswell)
- The Cross of Christ by John Stott (Tony . . .)
From the responses, it looks like we have our next twelve. I would heartily commend ten of them, with caveats about a few. Continue reading